Friday, March 18, 2011

Gumbo

I had a hankering for gumbo the other day.  I'm not sure where it came from since I've never made it before, but while sitting at work it entered my head and I couldn't shake it.  So I gave it a go.  I'm not sure how this would compare to real Lousiana gumbo, but all-in-all it was pretty tasty.

  
What You'll Need:
  • 8 tablespoon butter, divided
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can Rotel
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • Dash of cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
  • 6 tablespoons flour
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
  • 1 pound cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • Rice
  • Optional - 1 cup celery, chopped.  I despise celery, but I know it's supposed to be in gumbo.  So if by chance you like the yucky stuff, then go right ahead and throw it in there with the green peppers and onion.  
  • Also optional - 1 cup okra, chopped.  I really enjoy fried okra, but don't like it when it gets slimy.  I didn't have any on-hand so I didn't include it.  If i did, I may have, but that slime factor might have thwarted me as well.  Use at your own discretion. 

What You Do:

In a large pot melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.  Saute pepper and onion until onion is translucent.  Add garlic for a minute.

Add chicken stock, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire, salt, pepper and Rotel.  Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer.

Brown sausage in a skillet.  Drain and add to pot.

Melt remainin butter in skillet, once melted add flour and whisk until roux is fully mixed.  Continue cooking 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly. Be careful not to burn! 

Add the roux to the pot and bring to a boil, again stirring constantly.  Reduce heat and let simmer for 45 minutes. 

Cook rice while gumbo is simmering. 

Add the shrimp right before serving.

Serve over bed of rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment