Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chicks with Guns

It's never too early to start your Christmas shopping, right?  I came across this book on MSN the other day and happen to think it would make a great stocking stuffer. 

Chicks with Guns is by photographer Lindsay McCrum and it captures some amazing pictures as well as stories about gun ownership.

I love this picture of Alexandra and her son Truett, titled 'The magnificence of it all'.


She says “Guns, like everything in my childhood home, were considered treasures and works of art ... My parents taught me to appreciate the art of the hunt, the serenity of the outdoors, and the magnificence of it all. I now have two sons, Thomson, 5, and Truett, 3 years old. The bundled energy and palpable excitement in their eyes as they watch us pack the car with hunting gear is intoxicating! This book actually made me realize that the guns my father gave me when I was married will one day pass to my sons.”

And this photo, featuring Greta, titled 'Trained from infancy', I find so strikingly beautiful.


She says, "I was only 7 or 8 months old when I received my first gun, a gift from a longtime friend of my parents ... For my seventh birthday, my father gave me my first BB gun ... I studied hard with my dad’s help and completed the hunter’s safety course at the California Department of Fish and Game so I could receive a lifetime hunting license. I was so proud when the certificate arrived in the mail three weeks before my 10th birthday!”

Chicks with Guns is probably available in your nearest bookstore, but I found it on Amazon.  Buy it for your mom, your sister, your daughter... or hey, if you don't have any of those, you can buy it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment