Friday, February 25, 2011

Schistoso-what?

A few years back, I remember coming home from wherever I had been that day and my dad telling me that we had lost a newborn calf.  This saddened me, we didn't often lose calves, but it was something that did happen and you have to accept it.  It's a part of farming, not a fun part, but a part none the less.  He proceeded to tell me about how the momma cow was having a hard time delivering and he had to pull the calf.  He knew instantly that something was wrong.  The calf was deformed in a way that he had never seen before in his many years of farming.  Upon delivery, you could see the extent of the deformity.  The calf was literally inside out.

I went up to the shed to see what dad was talking about.  I just couldn't picture it in my head.  It was dark and we didn't get any good pictures, but the image has stuck with me.  I described it to many farming friends and even a college professor, but none of them had ever seen anything like it.  Our vet said it was a very rare deformity called schistosomas reflexus, and he in fact had only seen one case before in his 40+ years of vet medicine. 

I haven't heard of anyone I know having a calf born with this condition since, but yesterday, I ran across a blog post by Holly Spangler and she too described a calf that was born this way.  She was able to get some pictures so I thought I'd share her blog post below.     

Note: This blog includes photos images that may be graphic in nature.

Well, We've Never Seen That Before

I mentioned earlier this week that we had a deformed calf born on our farm over the weekend. The first word came as the kids, our babysitter niece and I were waiting to hear what was up with the calving situation. I called my mother-in-law, who reported that my father-in-law said they were doing a C-section because the calf was “inside out.”

That really didn’t make any sense to me, at least until I saw it. Then, it struck me as the perfect description.

Also, apologies for the poor photographs. It was dark, it was cold, I was shooting in the light of the tractor headlights and I had three small children waiting and asking 4.6 million questions. And, my husband kept telling me to move because I was blocking the light. Oops – sorry, Dr. Barkley!


The official term is schistosomas reflexus. Essentially, the body cavity fails to form around the calf’s organs. The calf sort of folds back on itself, kind of like a bat, and the legs and head all point in the same direction. The leg joints are fused. For his part, John knew he had a problem when he reached in to pull the calf and felt its spine. Time to call the professionals.

I can say, in 34 years in the cattle business, I’ve not seen a deformed calf like this. The veterinarian who came out to the farm confirms it’s a rarity, noting he’s only seen two or three in his career. Another vet in his office adds that it’s more typically found in Holsteins, and fairly rare in beef cattle. I did a Google search last night and sure enough, most photos were of Holstein calves.


Schistosomas reflexus is considered a congenital defect, rather than a hereditary one, which is to say some fluke occurred in the gestational building process. Hereditary defects are genetic and are passed down through the genetic pool. So that’s a relief. It also means it’s not TH or PHA.

Here’s hoping this is the most “exciting” point of the 2011 calving season. It can only get better from here, right?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, so sorry about he little guy/girl, they probably would have been a beautiful little calf! <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the end of the day, we couldn't come to an agreement on that one, so we used one of the avenues to keep Derrick because Derrick's an important part of our football team.Henry also was the NFL's leading rusher in the postseason, with 446 yards and two touchdowns on 83 carries in three playoff games.

    Taiwan and Germany had already put restrictions on Zoom use, while Elon Musk SpaceX Air Force 1 In Store has banned the app over security concerns.. As I write this at home, Cheap Nike Air Force 1 the window near my desk is open, and here come more children with their mothers, the kids chattering like chipmunks as they stroll down the sidewalk.

    S is real. You can put about 5 or 6 (don't remember exact number) on waivers to MK Outlet see who bites. They just got (tight end) Hayden Hurst. Underneath Header image you add the image you wish to use Jordan Shoes For Sale as the main image for the story. For months now, every morning at 03:00, officials in China have put together the latest figures on the spread of the virus to share with the world.

    17 in order to secure a sure media presence.. Chicken Soup for the Soul's pet food booth featured a stylish hearth with fake Cheap Yeezy Shoes Sale flames, cozy chairs, a book strewn coffee table and photos on the mantle. For North America. The mayors of Los Angeles and New York City have Coach Outlet Clearance already made similar recommendations.

    Additionally, ADPH has granted funds to the Poarch Band of Creek Indians to purchase three Mobile Medical Stations each capable of supporting 50 patients for seven days. Yeezy Shoes For Sale The only player in the 2010s with as many punt returns as Hill and a better New Air Jordan Shoes average is Devin Hester, who had a 12.11 yard average on 170 returns..

    ReplyDelete