Monday, February 22, 2010

I Feel Like a Cheater

I love beef.  Seriously, I love it.  I don't think there is anything that can beat a nice juicy steak or even a perfectly cooked hamburger.  There just isn't.

I'm not just saying that because I grew up raising beef cattle, I'm saying it because it's the truth.  My mouth is salivating right now just thinking about it.

With that said, I've tarnished the family name.  I've made turkey burgers.... and liked them.  GASP!

Don't worry Dad, turkey will never replace beef in our household, but I think it may be a good recipe to add to the mix when we feel like eating something just a bit different.


Turkey Burgers With Slaw

What You'll Need

1 tablespoon Butter
1 small red onion, 1/2 chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 lb ground turkey
1 tablespoon grill seasoning
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 lemon, juiced
3 tablespoons pickle relish
2 cups shredded cabbage mix
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 rolls
4 slices of cheddar cheese

What You Do

Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat.  Add chopped onions, garlic and tomato paste, cook for 5 minutes.  Sprinkle in 1 teaspoon sugar and remove from heat.  Let cool in a bowl.

Add Worcestershire and hot sauce to tomato paste mixture.  Add chicken and then grill seasoning and combine well.

Make into four patties.

Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO in a nonstick skillet or grill pan.  Cook patties approximately 6 minutes on each side.

Combine 1 teaspoon sugar, lemon juice, remaining EVOO in a bowl.  Add relish, cabbage mix and sliced onions and season with salt and pepper.  Toss the slaw to coat and refrigerate.

Serve burgers on toasted buns with a slice of cheese and top with slaw.  I like to add a little bbq sauce on as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment