Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Grilled Stuffed Roasted Red Peppers

I made these little pockets of love for the first time the other day and I thought I was going to die.  Or be constipated after eating so many of them.  I couldn't keep my grubby hands away from them!  Lucky for me, neither of those things happened. 

What did happen though was that I forced my little sister Bonnie to try one.  She hates almost all vegetables and I wanted her to try a bite so badly because I just knew she would like them.  It only took me wrestling her to the ground, hog-tying her, holding her nose shut until she had to open her mouth to breath, and then shoving a bite in there to accomplish my mission.  But I came out the victor!  And I was rewarded by her saying, "Oh, those aren't so bad afterall!"  Yep, mission complete. 


What You'll Need:
  • 4 large roasted red peppers, drained well and dried
  • 4 slabs of mozzarella or provolone cheese, about an inch wide
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • A handful finely chopped cilantro
  • 1 lemon, zested and juiced
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • Kitchen twine or toothpicks, soaked in water

What You Do:

Slice the peppers open, remove all seeds, blot dry and reserve.

Add the cheese to a dish and sprinkle with the red pepper flakes, cilantro, a little lemon zest, lemon juice and a liberal drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Toss to coat the cheese chunks in the marinade.  You can either immediately go to the next step, or let the cheese marinate in the fridge for a few hours.

Wrap each chunk in a roasted pepper and tie with twine or stick a few toothpicks thru to secure it.

Heat grill to medium, and grill the bundles until the peppers are evenly charred and cheese is browning at edges, about 8 to10 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Bonnie Garrett, force-fed sisterJuly 13, 2010 at 1:14 PM

    On a side note, the kitchen twine can technically also be used to hog-tie your unwitting victims, but I recommend something softer and perhaps fluffy.

    ReplyDelete