I recently received a package in the mail from a wonderful aunt of mine. Knowing my love of the written word, she sent me this shirt:
It got me thinking about the books I loved as a kid. The ones that I think EVERY child should read. And I wanted to share my list with you (in no particular order).
1. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
2. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - There are very few books that I will read more than once (besides Dr. Seuss or various other books Monkey wants to read 100 times in one night). This book I have read dozens of times and could read it again tomorrow and still love it.
3. White Fang by Jack London
4. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
5. The BFG by Roald Dahl
6. The Ramona Series by Beverly Cleary
7. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak - of course!
8. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
9. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
10. Matilda by Roald Dahl - Okay... pretty much any book by Roald Dahl.
11. Where the Sidewalk Ends - Shel Silverstein
Did you read these books when you were a kid? What was your favorite?
I'm sure many of you loved some literary classics that I failed to include, like The Secret Garden, or The Hobbitt. But for whatever reason it was, those books never grabbed me. I will freely admit, I loved any and all R.L. Stine books. He's famously known as "the Stephen King of the children's literature", so maybe that explains my love of Stephen King and other out-there authors now.
Oh and thank you Aunt Jill, you're the best!