Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Merry-Go-Round: 1, Becky: 0

What is it about getting older that sucks the fun right out of life?  I used to love amusement parks and county fair rides; The Screaming Eagle, Kamikaze, Octopus, Sizzler, Tilt-a-Whirl, Zipper... you name it, I loved it.  I could ride any ride for hours on end and never get tired of it.

Now that I'm thirty, I can't handle it.  What is wrong with this world?  What is wrong with our bodies that as we age we physically can't do the same fun things that we always did? 

A few years ago, I rode the spinning apple ride with a few of my friends' kids.  As we got off, the rest of the adults got quite a kick out of how white my face was.  At the time, I blamed it on being hungover.  I now know that wasn't the case.  I proved it by taking a few spins on a merry-go-round and having a sick feeling with a nice side of headache for the rest of the day.  All from a freaking merry-go-round, people!  Something is not right here.

I'm telling myself it is only the spinning that I can't take.  I can't give up rollercoasters.  I refuse to give up on something as fun as the thrill a rollercoaster gives you.  I have no idea when I'll get to Six Flags or any other amusement park again, but I WILL ride a rollercoaster and I WILL love it.  I'm determined.  Or in denial.

No comments:

Post a Comment