Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Oh Yum. White Chicken Chili

Hello, my name is Becky and I’m addicted to food.

There, I’ve said it. I’m in love with food. All kinds of it. I love eating it but even more, I love cooking it. I look forward to trying new recipes and better yet, making up my own.

So I thought from time to time maybe I could share a few with you. Here is one that I made last weekend for family and it was a hit!


White Chicken Chili

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
Salt and pepper
1 medium yellow or white onion
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 cup of mild or hot (depending on your taste buds) tomatillo salsa
4 cups chicken stock
1 can (15 oz) Great Northern white beans
1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of one lime
Shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
1 bag uncooked instant white rice
A few shakes of Chipotle Tabasco Sauce

Directions:
Heat medium soup pot over medium-high heat with the vegetable oil.
Add the chicken to the hot oil and season liberally with salt and pepper.Cook 2 or 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, cumin and coriander and cook for 3 or 4 minutes.
Continue to stir.
Add the tomatillo salsa, Tabasco sauce and the chicken stock.
Bring the chili up to a simmer and add the beans.
Simmer the chili for 20 minutes, add uncooked rice and simmer for another 20 minutes, this will thicken up the chili.**
Remove from heat and add the cilantro and lime juice.
Serve with shredded cheese on top.

**If you don’t like rice, you can add one more can of white beans to thicken up the chili. With a fork, thoroughly mash the second can of beans and add to the pot. I personally prefer the rice, but you do as you wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment